View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 10:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Gerry, controllables are
1. what you eat - no more processed foods including biscuits, breads, sugars & honey etc, cut out snacking, increase fibre in meals - I'm only allowed 12grams fibre a day so I'm closely watching & recording what I have so eventually I can slowly increase intake and avoid obstructions
2. how often you eat - Instead of larger portion 3 meals a day, I have 6 smaller portioned meals
3. increase water intake - I have a water plan that begins with 200ml cold water on rising, 400ml before each meal, 200ml with every movicol sachet followed immediately with 200ml cold water, 200ml after every cup of tea & reduced number of cups of tea throughout the day, 200ml cold water again before bed
4. reduce medicines that can contribute to blockages, hard to do as I've already minimised considerably so I've introduced the distraction method, at a time I would normally take meds I deliberately do something that takes me away from the medicine cabinet so I can stretch out the time between meds. It can be go for a walk, make a phone call, look something up on line, play a game, anything really that ultimately helps in the long run reduce the number of meds taken a day, even if it just 1 less it helps.
5. Increase exercise - I'm walking further every day and I've begun Pilates classes

ps, I've lost 2.8kg & can already notice less pressure on my abdomen wall.

We got told back in 2007 to avoid any further stomach surgery at all costs, I've had so many ops on my stomach over the years and the next stomach surgery likely to be fatal. Hence in 2013 when I was due to have spine surgery again they couldn't go through my stomach to do a cage & instead I had to have the metal rods fusion again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger715 View Post
Pam,
Not sure what you mean by control the controllable things in hernia management? Gerry

Last edited by PamelaJune; 09-02-2016 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Add comment
PamelaJune is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (09-03-2016), St George 2013 (09-03-2016)