View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 02:27 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilram View Post
If I were on disability and could stand being without the meagre relief that gabapentin gives me, I'd consider a study like this and giving up my only island of relief in order to give feedback on these drugs.

If you don't have responsibilities and could handle dealing with higher pain levels while you try out different therapies in the name of science, I'd salute you. Call me up, I'll ice your feet, bring you ice cream or a good meal while you further science on our behalf.
I think that none of the researchers conducting these studies would be ready to make such sacrifices themselves. They are getting salary for conducting these research, and if they get interesting results they can publish them, attend conferences and maybe get promotions.
On the other hand you don't get much from participating in such study.

I would be ready to make some sacrifices for studies that might improve my quality of life, or enables access to treatments that otherwise it is impossible (or very expensive) to get. Or if they got a great potential to advance the knowledge of our illness and it isn't too risky, painful and time consuming for me.

You should also take into account that when participating in such studies usually there are strict protocols regarding the medications and the dosage. Usually you even don't know what you are getting and it might be difficult to adjust the dosage or choose the best treatment for you without quitting the study.
stillHoping is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Joe Duffer (02-18-2017)