View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 04:27 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

I understand your shock of hearing that it could take 2 years to regain full muscle strength. Try not to focus too much on time frames. After my own initial shock regarding progress and goals of therapy, I just decided to stay focused on what I needed to do to make progress. Try to celebrate even tiny bits of progress. In other words, stay positive.

With regard to muscle pain and helping the process along, gently and slowly is fine. Personally I found sticking to my daily at home therapy exercises really helped with progress. Just doing the exercises at therapy was not enough. I also found very gentle stretches, moist heat, and desensitization very helpful. I have an air bathtub at home and that has really helped with muscle and CRPS pain. This tub has tiny holes around the lower walls and an air compressor to blow bubbles through the water. It is different from a whirlpool which I find very painful. They also have mats with compressors for tubs to give a similar effect. I don't know how well they work. I did a lot of my home therapy program in that tub.

One other thing that helped with the pain of therapy was a TENS unit. If I could connect the TENS before the pain got too high, it really helped me. I still use it when I am riding in the car because vibration will cause a flare up. Some people cannot tolerate TENS, and I understand that because if my pain levels are too high, I can't use it either.

My thoughts and prayers are with your son and you. Hang in there.

Shay
Shay08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (09-10-2016), CRPSbe (09-11-2016), PurpleFoot721 (09-10-2016)