View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 04:33 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Thanks to all who have already welcomed me

Hi Everyone!

I joined this group after searching the internet for a fairly active CRPS support group and stumbling upon PurpleFoot721's post about ketamine infusions. I had to respond, so here I am.

I broke my wrist in 2008 and after a painful 6 weeks in a cast, my ortho checked my x-ray and removed the cast. My hand, fingers, wrist and part of the arm were swollen and discolored. It looked like a lobster claw. I could not even open the claw. He touched my hand and I almost passed out. The next thing I knew he was sending me to a pain management doctor and a certified hand therapist. He said I needed to have a nerve block and daily therapy. He wrote RSD as a diagnosis but did not explain what it was. When I googled RSD, the only information that I received indicated intense burning pain. At that time, my pain was intense but it was not burning so I doubted the diagnosis. Fortunately, my ortho continued to treat it as RSD. I was unable to take the medications he gave me for pain, but many months of therapy (great health insurance) really helped. The claw opened and that limb became functional.

The pain continued and the nature of it changed. My PCP recommended Dr. Robert Schwartzman at Drexel. I had to wait close to 2 years for my appointment with him. He confirmed the diagnosis. He has to be one of the most observant doctors I have ever met. He pointed out little changes that I had not even noticed. He started me on ketamine infusions which have helped a lot. There have been a few months of remission but it always returns, just not as bad as the original pain. It has spread to other parts of my body (breaking my foot 2 years ago didn't help). Two infusion days every 3 months usually equal 2 to 2 1/2 months of no pain to low pain.

That's my CRPS/RSD story in a nutshell. I hope that I can offer support to others. Best wishes for low pain and happy days.
Shay08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (09-10-2016), PurpleFoot721 (09-13-2016)