View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 09:01 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
My SFN had increased in pain by the time the repeat biopsy was done (hence why we did it). The density was decreased from the first but more importantly, the condition of the fibers was once again showing clear damage...at every location (and I had 6 locations done--three sites on each leg---ankle, just above the knee and upper thigh). So the damage was wide-spread, typical with Sjogren's.

I have heard people here say that their pain turned to numbness, but most often I think it's just increased pain as the SFN worsens. The repeat biopsy would show definitively what you have going on...especially if they do morphology testing.
Thanks for describing your own experience. I must say I think mine peaked last year because I recall, following surgery for gallbladder, being in so much pain in my feet, legs and hands afterwards, that I barely noticed the localised pain of the operation site. The nurse was baffled by me as I kept crying out about my peripheries. "It must be some kind of bizarre referred pain?" one of them said to her colleague.

So now this stinging/ burning in my hands and vaguely numb sensation in feet just doesn't seem worthy of digging more wee holes out of myself for. I suppose I just think I should be very thankful rather than push for further tests. Plus I found the anaesthetic sites excruciating. But then each of us has our own unique response to pain so it could just be this. My GP took each of my biopsies from the area of my upper calves where I felt the least pain, just as the neuro pathologist suggested he do after tapping my calves with a nerve conduction pin.

Sjögren’s, Hashimoto’s and Systemic Sclerosis with Raynaud’s, Erythromelagia and small fibre polyneuropathy, GI problems top to tail, degenerative disc disease and possible additional autoimmune diseases
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote