View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default the diff

Hi Nikko,
edited to add. PM Just Jacquie when she stops in if you have a specific question she may know too.

Last fall at a NAMI conference there was a woman spoke on this matter. I will go look for some of my older post on the soc sec forum and OBT.

SSDI is based on your work quaters, SSI applied for at the sme time is more a welfare based..no work history, or low amounts.
My De had SSD and SSI, SSD was over $600 a month then offset with $46 @ 2 weeks her workers comp, then $24 in SSI.

From this low income of SSI , her medicare part B was paid for by the SSI welfare in our state, also the ACCESS card was gived to her and all dental and eye, nominal amount for glasses and foodstamps, about $150 a month. (went by utilities and rent etc)

I did have problems only one dentist took the dental in our area. Thankfully it was the family dentist.

THe medicare is the type A and B and now part D you receive. If not eligible for the SSI payment of part B, I think it went up to $82.50 a month this year. I stopped mine as my husbands family plan covers everything for me. I had to get a letter from his employer, thisprotects me from future penalties if I have to re-enroll.

THe medicaid, if you are on an (PA) access, low income, picks up after other medical coverages as primary. As her workers comp was first, I think her soc sec was second and anything not covered, medicaid paid.

During the transition to part D, she maxed it out after three months, her medicaid paid for her medications, a $2 copay. Even if it was over the counter if she had a script, it was long term, they paid or reimbursed.

Her plan D was AARP, there was a $4.00 copay on BRAND, $2 on generics. she did not need to meet a deductable....I think it was off-set.

I have SSDI only, because my husbands earnings are too high for me to be eligable for an offset even though my SSDI is so low.

I am not entilteled to offset of SSI. His earnings bump me out. PLUS, my soc sec goes on our total income, and with his earnings much of my soc sec was taxable.

Most of the rest of the presentation I was told was about working on SSDI and the programs that assist.
Generally when you apply for SSDI a claim for SSI is filed at the same time, even if you know you are above the income to be eligable.

If anyone knows of sometjing different or additional please change or add...I would also search the social security forum for information and the www.ssa.gov site
Di

Pocono area, PA