View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkynose View Post
I just saw the bed you created for Alan and I applaud your creative spirit!

I have a question about bumper guards. I made this one for Alan so he doesn't bang his foot against the wall (when he sometimes gets spasms during the night). As we await delivery of his custom molded shoes next week, he is to stay off his feet so he doesn't develop a new foot ulcer. He has shoes but they were made last year, he is on the last pair of inserts and the doctor isn't taking any chances. So we wait until next Monday.

Just now I checked his toes and he has a black and blue in the front of one of his toes (almost between the toes but not quite). This tells me he turned over on his left side, kicked the bumper guard I created and he must have used such force (also the bones of his toes are delicate because he has had neuropathy for over 20 years). So just now I added one more piece of the Visco Elastic foam (to make it a thicker, safer foam bumper guard)and now we have a double bumper guard.

And tonight I will place three pieces of cut up (top of) socks and place them over his toes (and his regular socks over them) so hopefully even if he DOES bang, he won't break a toe. I know someone with neuropathy who pulled the sheets over his toes and broke a toe, so I know people with neuropathy have delicate bones or whatever they have that can easily break.

My question is this. I'm like Macgyver, if I want something I have to build it because I don't know where to buy this online or even how to word it.

My bedroom looks ridiculous but who cares, as long as we both get a good night's sleep.

What I'm asking is .....is there anyplace online that sells specially made wall foam protectors (like what I have) but made for people with neuropathy? I mean, they have rails (which we already have), they have canes (which we also have), I also have the couch cane so he can get up from the couch. We have all disability aids that we use but this one has me stumped. Hundreds of thousands of people (perhaps millions) of people have neuropathy and they have muscle spasms and they also must bang SOMETHING in their sleep. I can't move the bed away from the wall. It's too small a bedroom. There is no place else to put him. I'm on the other bed which has a window and also (where his foot would be) there is a wall. So we have to make do with what we have.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have been googling "Protective wall foam bumper guards for people with neuropathy", etc. etc. but all I get is rubber bumper guards, and the like.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks much

Maguyver signing off

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Zayne (12-04-2016)