View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 02:40 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Mg4yy

Sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time getting a definitive diagnosis. The Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) dysfunction diagnosis aligns with many of your symptoms. From what I've previously read having ANS dysfunction is something that needs to be monitored as it can affect several different organs in varying ways.

It's good that your neurologist is conducting further tests - it seems as though they are being thorough. As far as I know there is no other name for the cortisol test - it's fairly routine and would most likely have been done as a first indicative test for Addison's - depending on the result a further test called a Synacten Test would have been done for confirmation.

There are varying tests for malabsorption - depending on what they might be looking for. If the results you're waiting for don't indicate anything auto-immune then you might request an Intrinsic Factor test - this indicates if Vit B12 is being absorbed in the gastro tract. Also there are the Homocysteine test and/or a Methylmalonic Acid test. These are more definitive tests for malabsorption of Vitamin B12 and Folate. B12 deficiency can cause neurological symptoms and there are issues with the current ranges used in the US for the standard B12 blood tests - ie: you can be deficient but the test says you're not! There is a very long thread on here about the issue:

STICKY - The Vitamin B12 Thread:

B12 absorption is a complex system and trying to get your head around it at this point may just confuse things so I would suggest skimming it for now. Don't be tempted to start B12 supplementation until you've had testing as it can skew results and you won't have a baseline test for comparison.

Your appt. with the geneticist in Oct could be useful - do you know what they are going to test for? It can be stressful waiting for results when you are feeling rotten so hang in there. I'm also sending you a private message (PM).
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote