View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 03:32 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidio View Post
Hi, I've been recently diagnosed with VTOS. I am currently on lovenox and am symptom free most of the time. I'm trying to decide between staying on blood thinners long term and doing the surgery to avoid further clotting issues and damaging my subclavian beyond repair.

Did you end up doing the surgery, and if so are you glad you made that decision?

Thanks so much!
I've got thrombosis in Nov 2013 and was diagonised with vTOS. Since then I am on blood thinners (first Warfarin and now Xalerto). I rarely have any symptoms.

I was deciding regarding the surgery myself. At the moment I am inclined to wait. That was also the suggestion from experienced TOS surgeon I believe. His rational is that even by doing the surgery there is no guarantee I wont reclot as the vein is damaged and even without mechanical pressure it can potentially reclot. The other thing is that I have developed a lot of collaterals which are helping the main (subclavian) vein. Even if I reclot I have a backup in these collaterals. By doing the surgery there is a risk of these fine veins being damages so I am back to only the main subclavian. He also predicts around 10% of reclotting if I take myself of blood thinners. At the moment (thank God) Xalerto has been great (no issues, very convenient drug) and I dont think I'll be doing the surgery anytime soon.

That's only my input.. Some people prefer the surgery which is potentially a long term solution. Great thing yours is probably only vTOS not nTOS so even if you do the surgery it should be quicker recovery.

Good luck!
Simurgh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote