View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member

I feel compelled to respond to you, although I have to say that this is my very first post on this forum. I have never seen a discussion from the point of view of someone who has to use their brain creatively and communicate with others as part of their job. I am now 9 months post concussion. I am the director of a busy, highly visible, non-profit organization. I constantly juggle many competing priorities and initiatives.
I heard the same advice re: being free of symptoms, but it didn't seem to jibe with my reality. I was (and am) never without symptoms (mostly vestibular). The good news is that I have improved and I continue to improve. Slowly. My doctor tells me that I can expect to continue making progress over the course of at least the next year.
I have experienced a number of setbacks, partly as a result of pushing too hard- so please learn from my mistakes. With that said, I don't think there is any way of knowing what will work until you try it. There is, in my view, a difference between being "symptomatic" and being unable to function because the symptoms are so bad. Obviously you want to avoid the latter. The best advice I can give is to be kind to yourself, and to be patient. I would recommend testing the waters by working two hours a day every other day, and see how you feel. Work closely with your doctor. For me, the fear that I might never be the same person (in terms of mental quickness and abilities) that I was before my concussion has been a challenge. I do see a therapist who specializes in working with people who have traumatic brain injuries, and I highly recommend it, if you have similar concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marypa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
an_also (09-27-2016)