View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

My daughter's dog died sometime in the night. She got him as a foster about 6 years ago. He got into the rescue after being rescued from a very abusive home, abused by men, other dogs, a big wolf who really threw him around and just life in general. When she got him he was underweight, petrified by men, other dogs and life. She already had 2 dogs and a husband who had a lot of testosterone spirit. Together they slowly nursed and nurtured him to physical health and then she started on the socializing health. Her other dogs really helped. A full blooded boxer is not going to let another big not not play. He was a puppy and just wanted another dog to play with. The dog park she is on the board of directors of has routine seminars at the dog park by experts that comes out, observes the dogs and helps the owners. They have specific rules of behavior and even a time out pen.

Trevor slowly came out of his shell and let others in. But the damage done by the wolf and male abuse stayed with him. So he has had a lot of back pain, tumors and probably failure to thrive. The vet has been giving him steroids which has helped with the back pain. My daughter had thought of putting him down this past Thursday but the vet convinced her to give it another week. Last night when she got home from work, he had peed all over the cage which had never happened. So she gave him a bath and tried to give him some quality time. She laid down beside him in his cage, gave him a hug and kiss an went to bed. This morning when she got up he was gone. He had apparently had a seizure because of the bleeding around tongue and mouth. He had also soiled himself again, both bladder and bowel. She feels so bad that she was not there when he died. She feels so bad that she did not put him down when she wanted to instead of letting the vet give another medicine. She shut herself down and didn't want me to go over to her house, call her on the phone. Finally she called me this evening and we had a good cry and talk.

I felt so helpless as a Mom, could do nothing for my daughter when I needed to. OK, talk over

doydie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (10-01-2016), Kitty (10-02-2016), PamelaJune (10-01-2016), tkrik (10-05-2016)