View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 07:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am very sorry to hear all that you are going through. Much of what you say does sound like RSD/CRPS...but there could be other causes as well. I do not live near you, unfortunately, so cannot help with recommendations in your area for treatment. I would say that, especially if you are travelling far to see doctors, that you will want to call ahead and find out if the doctor has specifically treated RSD or CRPS before. Do a little research like searching their name and RSD or their name and CRPS.

We all know there is a big range when it comes to doctors who diagnose and/or treat RSD/CRPS. I've met many in my travels who don't know what they are talking about...either because their information is out dated or they haven't even bothered looking into it at all. Some doctors are very arrogant...some are terrible listeners...some just want to jump into surgery and are more concerned with their own interests and pocket books than their patients. And some are wonderful. It can be hard to sort out which is which until you actually MEET them and talk to them...but a starting point is to at least find a doctor who SAYS they specialize in RSD/CRPS.

My advice is always to go to the appointment prepared. When my RSD journey began it was very helpful to have a timeline with everything that had happened, including symptoms, and a list of questions and things to go over with the doctor. When you are in this much pain...it can be easy to forget to mention things or forget to ask a questions...and once that dr leaves the room good luck getting them back in. Also...if they say they don't think it's RSD...then really push to find out what they think it IS then. As others have mentioned...there are other possibilities. That said...the sooner the RSD is treated (it that's what it is)...the better the chances for remission. So if you can find a way to keep moving every day...even small movements...then that is good.

Pain killers have never been effective for me with RSD. But I did find that warm baths with epsom salts are great, ultrasound heat therapy, and TENS were the best at helping me...especially in the beginning when my pain was located in one spot. Definitely see if they can try the ultrasound and TENS (or STIM) with HEAT! If you suspect RSD then do NOT use ice as this can make the pain much much much worse.

I wish you luck in finding a doctor in your area who can help you to find the correct diagnosis and who can treat the problem. I hope that it is not RSD...but if it is then there is lots of great information and support here in this forum.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (10-05-2016), Littlepaw (10-07-2016), Shay08 (10-09-2016)