View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 01:16 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hello and welcome Gail. I am sorry you had to come join us but it is a soft place to land. We understand what you're going through. You are not alone.

I agree with the recommendation to keep moving and to do so without causing flare. Improvement WILL come, it can be slow and sometimes requires pulling back and starting up again but it will come. 80% of people with CRPS show improvement over time according to Dr. Stanton-Hicks of Cleveland Clinic.

Catra is right, no one thing works for everyone but there are many options to try. I receive ketamine infusions and they have been of tremendous help. I did not start those though until I hit a wall as far as progress. Gabapentin was helpful and is a standard therapy. Unfortunately for me it dampened my mood and I switched to low dose nortriptyline (and old antidepressant used for nerve pain) with good effect. Getting something on board that will calm nerve signals and alter the way your brain perceives pain could be helpful for you.

Since you are still not too far out your doctor might consider a round of oral steroids. 10mg 3x a day for 10 days is recommended by Stanton-Hicks as a frontline therapy.

It sounds like you have found some great resources with Dr. Chopra. Many of us recommend his videos. You are doing the right things. Seeing a therapist will be a big help. I worked with one who specialized in pain and she really was a life saver. Depression and anxiety can go hand in hand with pain and it is important to address both as they do affect one another. I am not surprised that you are having a rough time emotionally. It is a loss finding out you have CRPS and can be very frightening, especially in the beginning. I'm sure we've all shed our share of tears. But know that there is hope and you will get through this. It will not always feel like it does now.

Aqua therapy is great, as is mirror therapy. Altering your diet was a smart move. You might also consider checking your Vit D level. It is commonly low (even in Texans like me) and is implicated in chronic pain.

Let us know what happens. Keep looking for a doctor until you find one you are comfortable with. Good ones can be one of the greatest allies in the fight against pain.

Sending thoughts of healing and comfort,

Shine Your Bright Light
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (10-05-2016), birchlake (10-06-2016), ger715 (10-09-2016), PurpleFoot721 (10-09-2016), Shay08 (10-09-2016)