View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 11:16 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thanks for your input, Kiwi. I was hoping you would chime in, and appreciate that you did, especially given what you say about the plausibility of my theory.

I didn't know that whole bacteria couldn't get through. Is this a certainty or is it a doubt? This is where my ignorance shows, so I'm glad to learn this. But it seems that it's enough that the proteins get through. Is this what's suggested in the above article, from which I quoted the bit about lipopolysaccharides? These are endotoxins I believe. I'm wondering whether this means that I could have a twofold problem, where my blood itself is toxic and that toxicity is causing inflammation, thereby doubly damaging my body, my nerves in particular.

Anyway, all this does seem to give plausibility to my theory. Thanks to you and Littlepaw.

I've already been prescribed Rifaximin by my GI, and will begin a 14 day course shortly. Once that's over, I will begin taking a powerful custom probiotic with various strains that I've researched. And then at some point in the new year I'll take herbal antibiotics and antifungals.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
David, your theory sounds plausible to me.

I doubt that the increased intestinal permeability associated with SIBO would be large enough to allow whole bacteria to pass from the gut into the blood but it could well allow whole proteins from gut bacteria to do that. The immune response arising from that could lead to adverse side-effects, including inflammatory responses.

Has your SIBO been investigated? My understanding is that treatment with probiotic bacteria (often various kinds of Lactobacillus) is the first thing to try. If that does not work then antibiotic treatment can be considered.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Littlepaw (10-07-2016)