View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi new friend,
I did go to college when I was turning 50 and needed to retrain. I went through the office of vocational rehabilatation in our county and also the college disability office. THe OVR office purchased a lap top, and Dragoin dictate, also Office and OCR optical character recognition software. I could scan my documents and use MS word to fill it in. I used my laptop and Dragon to take my test in the office in the disability room. I had as much time as I needed not limited to the class time or less.

With Dragon, the trick is to talk normal, don;t pause between words. Say the entire sentence as if in conversation. Train it too ALOT! Read the stories it has and keep going....then when you need to correct something like issue if it comes up tissue, the next time it will remember. Even proper names of instructors, long ones if I say correct "XXXXX" and type in what is correct, it will remember the name next time.

Other items I had were a rolling bookbag, Fat BIC XL foam pens for writing, I also had a tutor for my chemistry class, I had a 3.75 GPA but never had a chemistry class and this was tough stuff. Don;t forget I had been out of school over 30 years.

Good luck in school,
Dianne
PS I also received financial assistance from office of voc rehab. About $3000 a year.

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote