View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 02:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, I started to reply last night, and it just didn't happen. This is one of those "I don't know what I'm talking about, but it should give you something to think about" kind of posts, if you know what I mean.

So, as far as the hearing goes... you say it's not an ear infection. Did you look in her ears, or is it just because it's not her typical ear infection symptoms? We just got through with swimmer's ear. First time I've dealt with that, and the symptoms were different from a typical ear infection. While it doesn't really sound like swimmer's ear, I like it the best of all the thoughts that popped in my head.

I did a few searches (very few) last night. Somewhere I read that CMT can result in hearing loss. Somewhere else I read that sometimes with hearing loss, your brain fills in the lack of noise with noise.... must have been when I was looking up tinnitis - ringing in the ears. I keep thinking that Annelb over on the GF/CD forum has tinnitis? and it's gotten a little better going GF? If I remember correctly (and I can't look it up since it's on the original BrainTalk), she doesn't think it will ever go away since too much damage was done from all her years of gluten / malabsorption. I almost think someone else over there has had their tinnitis disappear completely from going GF? Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to post a question over there.

Last thought on ears... don't some autistic kids seem to have super-sensitive hearing? And I keep thinking sometimes it can be helped by listening to some special audio tapes? (Obviously, I know nothing about it... just heard / read a bit somewhere.)

I lied... one other "ugly" thought. I think the tinnitis site I was perusing mentioned it could result from a tumor. I could see a tumor also affecting seizure left / right changes. Yeah, I don't like that thought either.

About the glass in the foot! Wow! I hope there is no infection going along with it. I have to say, I had really hoped GF would halt the progression of CMT.

Sorry for the downer of a reply. I hope you have a productive meeting with Dr. P. (((Hugs)))
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote