Thread: Sleep Advice
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

One needs to be very careful taking 5-HTP if also taking an SSRI like Celexa. Be aware of the symptoms of serotonin syndrome. But, 20 mgs of Celexa is a small dose.

L-Tryptophan is a precursor to 5-HTP. Some do not convert enough L-Tryp to 5-HTP.

I take 5-HTP instead of Celexa. I like the way I feel and do on 5-HTP. It is far superior to the SSRI daze.

Again, when is your mind doing when you are struggling to get to sleep ?

What kind of music do you listen to ?

What sensory stimulation do you engage in in the hours prior to going to bed ? TV, conversation, reading, ??

You should not be going to bed unless you can fall asleep in a few minutes unless you have something to occupy your mind like gentle music. You need to avoid active thought. When you get that "Why can't I fall sleep" thought going, Get up and find a way to distract your mind while it gets sleepy. I sometimes get caught in an eye movement and blinking state. When this happens, I know I have to get up and start the 'getting sleepy' process all over again.

I need to have proper food energy to stay asleep. 100 to 200 calories of a complex carb or protein/fat combination usually helps me stay asleep. Four saltine crackers and a slice of cheese is my favorite snack. 20 minutes later, I'm usually out like a light or at least ready to climb in bed and go out like a light.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote