View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 08:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

As I see it, in addition to real progress, a product both of research and clinical intervention is hope: hope that a cure will be found, before it's too late for me; hope that I will feel better tomorrow than today; hope that my rate of decline will slow.

Hype is both the friend and enemy of hope. On the one hand, it allows a more frequent release of "breakthrough" announcements, each leading to a hit of hope; while, on the other hand, too many unfulfilled expectations leads to grade inflation and mistrust, and a decline of hope. On balance, I suspect that a moderate amount of hype is beneficial.

I liken the situation to that of a therebo (from THERapy and placEBO, something that may have true therapeutic value or may just be a placebo, we just don't know). A piece of research is a therebo. It may contain truly useful information or it may turn out not to, but in the meantime it generates hope. I wonder what would happen if a news report from a totally reliable source was made that a cure for PD had been found, and which was free and available to all PwP within a month. I suspect that there would be a surge in hope, possibly leading to a surge of dopamine, and some symptomatic relief.

If this perspective of hope and hype is accepted it follows that efforts should be made to maximize the benefits.

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debi Brooks (10-17-2016), GerryW (10-17-2016), olsen (10-16-2016)