View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 07:37 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I'd give it a try if it is not a hardship for you (availability etc).
(the shrimp treat for your cats...if they like it that is)

We had a large black cat who passed in late 2010. Her name was Sheba. She developed a skin condition... the vet called it cat acne on her face. Only offered treatment was prednisone.
She also had a mystery illness the vet couldn't pin down, but she went into a semiconscious coma for 3 days. I had to feed her a sugar solution (Pedialyte) orally by syringe.

I was doing a major Omega-3 intervention myself, and during that I found a link to IAMs pet food. I went there and discovered that the corn ingredients in premium pet foods here was
very bad for cats. I switched Sheba to Eukanuba Omega-3 kibble and all her skin problems vanished. Sheba was BTW also crazy
for human quality shrimp, So we gave her 2 a day. I bought them in a frozen bag, and they were precooked and I just defrosted them and I chop them up into small bits when I give/gave it. Sheba's health really turned around from the previous Vet Food called Science Diet back then and she lived to be 23 yrs old! Science Diet in US at one point was sold by vets as a therapeutic solution. I found it was primarily corn then and that was a huge problem for us. Now finally Science Diet has been reformulated, but we switched to IAMs then because of their research to remove corn from their pet foods.
Today I have switched to Blue Buffalo Wilderness kibble as it is grain free. Today there are even Purina foods that have removed corn...but that took 2 decades to happen!

We had 3 cats back then, and I found that a food treat for each (and they had their own preferences and didn't eat each other's) any tension between them, was nil because I sort of trained them to behave, by only giving a treat when they were "good".

Maya demonstrated her preference for shrimp as a kitten, a shy feral kitten, when we adopted her, and she sniffed out shrimp in my Chinese take out. So she took Sheba's place in that way. I don't give Maya them every day, like Sheba demanded of us, but she does get them every week.

I once did look up food contents and taurine. It turns out shrimp had quite a bit!

I have to wonder when we adopt cats. Only two of our cats begged for shrimp... We know for sure that Maya was feral and taken from a wild barn cat colony. So that suggests to me that she might have a congenital higher need for taurine. Cats who are deficient in taurine have nervous system disorders. I can't see barn cats being fed a premium cat food. And if mice are lacking, then a taurine deficiency may be present in the mother cat and the kittens affected.
They will die when this nutrient is missing.

This is the reason that pet owners are warned to not feed dog foods to cats. (there is no warning in the reverse ..and dogs can safely eat cat food which is enriched with taurine.) This is also why cat owners are told to not feed human foods to cats in significant amounts. I believe shrimp in moderation is okay however.

I myself take 1000mg of taurine a day, as there is some evidence that we lose our taurine metabolism/synthesis with age.
I have noticed a dramatic drop in tinnitus as a result, and less pain and brain fog that I tend to have now as I am approaching 70 with my PN and arthritis pain.

Taurine is not expensive and is very helpful for some people with chronic pain.
Here is an interesting article for humans:

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kiwi33 (10-18-2016)