View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Thanks for your reply, Bob.

Watch what you are doing with that hand. We've had men on this forum who have hurt their palms/hands, lifting weights, and doing pushups.

I had my foot surgery when I was 12.. I am almost 70 today.
There were no lasers then, or gamma knife, and the doctors were adamant about me understanding the fact that they insisted I never have surgery there again. That instep never bothered me for years after that unless I laced a shoe over the scar too tightly. They had to dig deeply to get most of the vascular tissue out, but it was not 100% done. They said too much scar tissue remains and may never heal again, if touched surgically.

Then the nerves finally grew back and for the last 20 yrs, I have had swelling and pain in that foot and toes every since.
The color of the long S shaped scar has faded from bright red to mostly white. 4 of the stitches are still purple, but at least it doesn't bleed every day like it did then. The tumor I was born with is called a cavernous hemangioma. For some reason as I have aged, it now swells up, and when it does, I have pain there that radiates to the ankle (compressive). It has been not progressing, and if it does, my podiatrist said he will order an MRI of it.

I am telling you this because I think surgeries in delicate places like your palm and my instep are just not perfect, and residual damage can occur.

This link shows the anatomy of your hand/palm and shows
the carpal tunnel. In people with low thyroid functions, the carpal tunnel gets deposits of a mucoid type of tissue which can lead to compressions. Diabetics also get compressions there.
Nerve Compression Syndromes of the Hand: Overview, Anatomy, Pathophysiology

There are carpal tunnel splints made of softer neoprene and not so stiff.

This is the type I wear (I have had carpal tunnel since I was about 30, due to hypothyroidsim)... I don't wear it every night, but only when I flare. It is soft and does not put pressure on the hand like the stiff types. But it does prevent flexing the wrist during sleep.
Amazon.com: Futuro Energizing Wrist Support, Left, Small/Medium: Health & Personal Care
It is important to not limit all movement, for some people.
There is a fine line between causing more compression and preventing unwanted flexing.

I'd suggest using the Lidocaine lotion every day, concentrating on the inner wrist area. Lidocaine for me at least put my irritated hip MP nerve, into a remission, after 14 days, which I did not expect, as I was using it only for symptom relief. I used the Lidoderm patch form, when it first came on the market. I had damage to the lateral femoral sensory nerve from a C-section.

I'd also suggest you avoid heat on that wrist/hand as heat can stimulate nerves that are irritated. The magnesium in the epsom salts, is very useful for nerve pain also...as it helps with healing and proper nerve functions. If you use heat, only use for 10 minutes or less. My chiropractor was very emphatic about that. She said many people use heat because it feels good, but that it is counterproductive long term... as it ends up stimulating sensory nerves and pain.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bestbob (10-19-2016)