Thread: Hand cramps
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 05:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Hey, Fred. Maybe it becomes worse with age, this MG hand cramping thing. It also is worse when hand muscles are weaker.

My hands contorted during my MG crisis after I gripped something for less than a minute. Really took me by surprise. After MG improved, so did my hands. That was 2005.

Then in 2015, my hands became worse. First, they were more stiff in the morning. That went away after a couple of hours. Six or so months after that the fingers would stay stiff longer. A couple of months after that, my fingers/thumb began "sticking." I woke up and my left thumb was bent (the distal joint, nearest the nail). I could pop it back into a straight position but it kept wanting not to bend well.

After that, a finger on the left hand and two on the right did the same thing.

Trigger finger is all about the tendons becoming inflamed. It's usually from overuse. Ha! That's funny when one has MG. Although, since our muscles are weaker to begin with, overuse injuries can happen faster than most people after less activity.

After two sets of steroid shots, I am looking at surgery for my thumb. I'm putting it off for now, even though it's a fast surgery (literally 5 minutes).

Anyone who has stiff hands should have some basic tests done, looking for rheumatoid arthritis. It's pretty standard, especially since we can often have more than one AI. My hands were also x-rayed to look for any signs of arthritis as a cause.

I don't have an inflammatory condition. I don't know why my hands are so bad, and neither do the doctors. I frankly think that it's from my MG not sufficiently being treated for so long. Who knows.

I hope that info helps. Can you describe what is going on with your hands?

Annie
Annie,
It is hard to describe. It does not cramp for long, and I still have full use of my hands and fingers. Almost like a leg cramp, but in the hands. As soon as I move my fingers, it is ok for a few minutes.
I hope is not going to get worse!!!
Thanks
FREDH
FREDH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (10-18-2016)