View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 05:37 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
Mat, "I was reading about findings of paired 'o' bands in CSF".

Oligoclonal antibody bands in CSF are often strongly diagnostic of multiple sclerosis - from memory this does not apply to you (?).

Oligoclonal antibody bands in plasma but not CSF can indicate a range of B cell neoplasia (multiple myeloma among others).

If you are concerned about this you could get your rheumatologist to arrange to check this out - it is easy to do and could put your mind to rest about it.
Thanks Kiwi. I think it's differently significant if the o bands are paired to if the blood or CFS shows more bands than the other - which is more likely MS. If they are paired in blood as in same number of bands in CSF to blood then there are various things it can signify - but it's very non specific. In my case the neuro says it's not a normal finding but most probably Sjogrens. MS and SS can overlap very closely in terms of symptoms.

Regarding Myltiple Myeloma - this has been ruled out thankfully from negative Bence Jones tests and CT with contrast from thorax to pelvis. My pain is all in my legs and arms and mouth. I do have bad osteoarthritis in my lower back and hips but I knew about this already and it isn't contributing to my neuro symptoms. I also have white matter in my brain but it hasn't worsened in 18 months so this also signifies Sjogrens in the form of small vessel disease rather than MS or vascular dementia or anything more sinister.

So the nerve conduction tests are to be repeated next and after large fibre involvement has been ruled out it's all just down to a neurological presentation of Sjogrens, requiring nothing but topical treatments and Pregabalin or Carbamazepine - if I was willing to try these - which I'm not!

Sjögren’s, Hashimoto’s and Systemic Sclerosis with Raynaud’s, Erythromelagia and small fibre polyneuropathy, GI problems top to tail, degenerative disc disease and possible additional autoimmune diseases
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote