View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 12:48 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

I avoid using oral pain meds because they usually end up in the porcelain throne. I have yet to find creams or patches that do much good, but I am open to suggestions. When my pain ramps up, I usually use moist heat, gentle desensitization, gentle stretches, and TENS if I can tolerate it. I will also try mindfulness and relaxation exercises as well as a long soak in my bubble air tub. If things don't improve I will take 1/2 of a .25 mg alprazolam tablet......yes, that is all it takes.......and then my muscles will relax and I will fall asleep. When I wake up, there is usually significant improvement, although I still may feel a bit loopy.

I usually do all that I can to prevent breakthrough pain. For example, when I travel in a car, I use several pillows and my TENS (If I am not driving). I wear gloves and clothing appropriate for me depending on the wind, temperature, and precipitation. (I often look out of sync with everyone else, but when even a soft breeze can ramp up the pain, I don't really care.) I also try to pace myself although that does not always work. Then there are those times when the pain just comes and there is no obvious reason.

I consider myself lucky that the ketamine infusions have helped and there are times when traveling in a car, air conditioning, a light breeze, or falling rain/snow, etc. don't bother me. I try to get as much out of those weeks as I can. If only someone would find a cure!!! If only........

Shay
Shay08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (10-21-2016), PurpleFoot721 (10-21-2016)