View Single Post
Old 10-22-2016, 03:28 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerfun View Post
Do I understand correctly that if the Scn9 & 10 is negative, there is treatment. And usually if negative there is NO decrease in nerve fibers. So if there is a decrease in nerve fibers it is possible that the scn9 & 10 could be positive but if so there is no treatment. Is that right? My brain fog is bad so I apologize.
HI Summerfun - i am certainly no expert but as far as i am aware the genetic neuropathies are very rare. I've had the scn9a and 10 gene tested which came back negative. The professor i saw said that my skin biopsy was not in keeping with a genetic neuropathy as the biopsy would show a die back of nerve fibers - but if you have a die back of nerves doesn't mean that you have a genetic neuropathy - there are lots of causes. He just pointed out to me that my biopsy was in keeping with an inflammatory neuropathy. He also pointed out that with an inflammatory neuropathy it was strange that none of the markers for inflammation were raised in my blood tests as they normally would be with this type of presentation. At the moment there is a lot of stuff on the internet about SCN9A & 10 sodium channel dysfunction and some blockers are in clinical trials - so even though there is no treatment at the moment , hopefully in the future there will be.
LouLou1978 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Summerfun (10-22-2016)