View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 03:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi!

Thanks for the replies! I guess it should not be a total shock to me since there is a lady in my neighborhood book club who I remember complaining about the busing last year...her son is almost done with school though (and he is mobile, but has cognitive delays)...I just assumed that he rode an older kids bus. She said he would often be home late due to the bus since a lot of parents of w/c kids weren't on time to help get the kids off the bus and the driver would wait vs taking them to the police station like they are supposed to if the parents don't come out to get them on time.

When Caitlin started going to school in her chair they actually bought a new w/c short bus, I assumed they would just use it for her this year too and work the routes out that way and transport her with her peers, not with older kids who go to different schools all over town. (Caitlin's school only has kids from pre-k to grade 2). It sucks being that it is sunday and I can't do anything at all until tomorrow. I am planning on trying the nice way first like my friend suggested....she did say if that doesn't work to "pull out the big guns" and have stuff written into her IEP like a maximum time on bus or such things. I looked at her IEP and it just say a w/c accessible bus will transport her to school. I never thought to be more specific and say transported with her peers or lingo like that....but next IEP meeting it will get changed!! I guess all that is learn as you go!!

Lisa O.
andromeda31 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote