View Single Post
Old 10-23-2016, 09:50 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default MTB and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth8a View Post
Anyone have...experience returning to extreme sports or activities, (such as hockey, mountain biking, snowboarding)?
I hear your concerns. Eight months after I hit my head I was feeling pretty good and was riding my mountain bike again. After longer rides I could feel sensations at the lower back of my skull/head and knew that I shouldn't push it. But then the unfortunate happened...

After participating in a trail building volunteer project some more experienced riders asked me to ride with them. At that point I knew I wasn't ready for group rides (higher intensity). However, after I told them I was just going to ride around and take it easy, they said, "That's all we're going to do". So, really wanting the company I decided to join them.

Well, 10 miles and 2.5 hours later I was leveled physically and mentally. I felt like their was 2 of me when I arrived back at the car. Tired but head also feeling a mess. I got caught up in this ride and had to stay with the group to find my way back.

After that ride my PCS was worse than my original injury 8 months earlier. Now, one year later, I still haven't returned to the place I was before that ride.

If you can control your environment and understand what your limits are maybe its okay to return to some activities. However, hockey is different. I personally want to get back into it but won't do it until I'm 100% better.

Best of luck with your interests and ability to participate in them. It sounds like you're doing pretty well.
CenterIce is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote