View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 10:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Jillenrad- Yes, a link to the original article would be great!

I am curious--this article seems to suggest that RSD is NOT a "pre-exisiting pathlogy", but occurs DUE to trauma and pain, and these small verve abnormalities are a RESPONSE. The biopsied tissue at the site of the worst symptomatic RSD pain was where the abnormal small nerve fibre changes were seem, as compared to the small nerve fibres in the non-affected, normal tissue sites.

If this is correct, this could be VERY important evidence, not just for diagnosis/therapy, but for those RSD sufferers caught up in Work Comp, where the insurance company doctors are either saying RSD is "psychogenic" OR it is a "pre-existing" pathology, therefore APPORTIONMENT to permanent disabilty applies.

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the concept of apportionment and permanent disability in the realm of Workers Compensation, what this means is if "other pathology" is CONTRIBUTING to the level of permanent disability caused by the industrial injury, say 60% pre-existing pathology, and40% due to the actual work injury, your PD will be REDUCED accordingly!

So, nowadays, it is IMPOSSIBLE to be deemed 100% disabled, due to "apportionment".... in order to REFUTE these apportionment issues, one MUST have their Doctor support his opinion that the RSD is NOT a "pre-disposition", a "pre-existing condition", etc. with peer-reviewed SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE.

Maybe the researches will find a "less invasive" way to study the small nerves, so that there can be a less PAINLESS way of OBJECTIVELY identifying these damaged nerves. But, at LEAST for now, there is a WAY.

It would be interesting to find out how many of the RSD subjects had really bad flare-ups after the biopsy, if preventative blocks were done prior to and after, etc...

So, in view of this research, might add quite an "interesting twist" to the mix!

Thanks Jillerad and Junk4mye,ail--great idea!