View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 11:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Too bad you already had the MRI. A SWAN MRI would have been interesting.

I've probably said this before but my first concern is your sleep. Sleep can be impacted by your neck or other discomforts.

It sounds like your brain is being overloaded. Poor sleep makes your overload threshold much lower. The original injury may have also reduced your overload threshold, maybe permanently. But, you can maximize your threshold with an understanding of your brain's limits.

What are you daily activities ? What activities/tasks cause you the most struggle ?
Hi Mark,

Yes, 2 MRI's now over the past 3 years, most recent one I am hoping to review with my doc next week. Last was "normal." Can't say I've heard of a SWAN MRI.

Sleep is usually good. Most days I get 8-10 hours. I find I feel at my best if I sleep in late in the morning until around 11AM. That said I am usually up until Midnight. When I don't get at least 8 hours, I am useless the next day and symptoms are 50% worse.

The brain is certainly overloaded in any public setting with artificial lighting/ambient noise. Overload is the perfect explanation. I have worked to understand my limits and back off when symptoms come on.

I run my own business (since pre-accident) and have been struggling to keep it going as it's very demanding on the sales/support side. I usually only work 3 hours a day now (at most) as that's all that I can handle. A big part of the job is meeting face to face with clients. This I now have to avoid at all costs, as presenting in person, doing lunches, etc. is debilitating to me and causes the near fainting (or feeling of) stuff. Have been trying to complete most of my activities remotely from home, as I am able to handle much better, but also means that the business struggles. A source of stress knowing that I don't have a lot of options if this doesn't pan out.

I am also a single father, which can be hard at times when I'm not feeling well. The ex can also bring additional stress, due to lack of empathy. I feel as though everyone thinks I am making my symptoms up, or exaggerating them. I have lost some faith in humanity over the process, although trying to stay positive and not feel sorry for myself too often.

@SuperElectric - the near fainting is the most alarming, yes. If I hadn't had as many tests as I have had over the years, I would think that I was having a stroke and call 911. It's that bad when it comes on and consistent each time I subject myself to a restaurant and have conversation within someone. The brain just cant handle the stimuli/multi tasking anymore.

I find that light massage helps quite a bit overall, but the lightheadedness is still always present when in a restaurant setting regardless.

What I struggle with a lot right now is going at this alone, already confused and have exhausted a lot of avenues to try and figure this thing out, but can be very difficult (as you know) when you already don't feel well and have a hard time focusing on much.

If I could get the lightheadedness under control, I could make due with everything else, but that part creates a severe disability.
May 2013 - Motorcycle accident. Hit head falling off motorcycle at 80-100km/h after hitting a median and knocked unconscious. Taken to hospital via ambulance. Partial loss of vision on the way. Cleared of any internal injuries at via CT and released.

May 2013 - Early morning upon arriving back from hospital, I started uncontrollably shaking (not a seizure), more so shock related. Paramedics to home and back to hospital. Cleared again and sent home.

August 2013 - Feeling normal and 100% better, I started to engage in normal activities, including full time work with no symptoms. I fell unconscious in my home, striking my head and waking up in a pool of blood and vomiting profusely. Noticeable trauma to face and nose upon waking up. Very nauseous and taken back to hospital. Cleared of any 'visible' injuries aside from superficial. Nausea and light sensitivity were very noticeable, to the point where I could not view a computer, or even TV. Approx. 4 weeks after the fall, I started to experience daily and extreme symptoms of dizziness, faintness, lightheadedness, nausea, tinnitus, neck stiffness/pain that has been present ever since. Some days are better, others very bad.

Tests include:
  • CT x 2
  • MRI x 2
  • Neck x-ray
  • Vestibular assessment (noticed a very slight left eye nystagmus.
  • Physio for neck, jaw shoulders for 1.5 years (stopped in 2015)
  • Heart holter monitor (24 hour)
  • ECG
  • Vision test

All tests yield no results and left with PCS diagnosis.
randomguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote