View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 09:18 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Do muscle contractions from dystonia stop during sleep?

Hi everyone,

So I actually have CRPS in my left arm and right leg, but with that I developed pretty bad dystonia which means my hand/fingers and ankle/toes are permanently fixed in position. It also causes a lot of pain up my entire limb because the muscles are so tight and my foot is turned in at over a 45 degree angle.

As my fingers are completely fixed and my thumb is actually trapped under the fingers, my surgeon has decided he wants my hand in a splint, mainly for the hygiene of the skin in my palm to stop it breaking down. But he can't get my fingers straight so wants to do it under general anaesthetic. I was wondering, do the muscle contractions just stop under GA? I am confused as to why I would need GA to have it done, if he is going to just force it open regardless why can't it be done under regional anaesthetic? Sometimes when I wake up my fingers have changed position and don't feel as tight, so from this I assume that the contractions lessen and possibly even stop while I am asleep? I am obviously going to discuss this with my surgeon before we go ahead, but I was curious to know from other sufferers. I am sorry if I am being naive, I know very little about dystonia as it is just treated as an 'on the side' problem with my CRPS.
abigailsophiex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote