View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Exclamation

I have a caution.. a warning for you Debi.

I don't think it is normal to be recovering from that massage the way you describe.

I had a terrible reaction to a massage, terrible pain in my upper spine and neck for 2 days after a light massage. I will never get another.

The anatomy of a massage is this:
The dorsal roots lie outside the spinal column along the vertebral bodies. These roots are part of the peripheral nervous system.
They get damaged by chemo drugs, viruses (the shingles virus lives in them) and toxins. Sometimes they heal up and other times in some people who lack the genetics for this specific repair, never. When they go wonkey eventually the nerves in the periphery die back because they get no answering signals from the dorsal roots. The dorsal roots maintain a feedback loop 24/7 to the nerves in the feet, legs, arms and hands. When this loop is broken the nerve endings in the feet and elsewhere die back.

The massage may put further pressure on these nerve bundles (the roots) and cause further damage. The space around them is tiny... the bony parts of the vertebrae are supposed to protect them. But physical pressure from accidents, falls, or massages, may compress these bundles (ganglions).

Central Nervous System Anatomy — The Spinal Cord
This link shows the position of the dorsal root ganglion (the second diagram) where it is located outside the spinal cord and lodged in between the bones of the spinal column. Movement of this area, pressure, can put strain on those nerves in that bundle. An already damaged area by chemo drugs etc, will react to this negatively depending on the skill of the masseuse.

I would strongly advise you to contact your neurologist and tell him/her the massage made you sick, explain exactly why you had to stay in bed etc. I suspect you will be advised to avoid massages ... but if not you did check for safety reasons and then you can carefully get future ones, after explaining to the masseuse to be very light and careful with you.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 10-29-2016 at 12:57 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (10-29-2016), ger715 (10-29-2016), Joe Duffer (11-09-2016), kiwi33 (10-30-2016), Lukesmom (10-29-2016), Pixel22 (11-05-2016)