View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 08:20 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

So on my lens I have a few different features.

1)There is a slight grey tint on it. She had me try a few different colour tints in the sunlight and then decide which one felt better to get the shade. Some people prefer other colours

2)I also have a blue light reflector on my lens for light sensitivity to help with screen time because I struggle with screens a lot still.

3) Then the last thing is the magnification that I mentioned before. I'm not sure what the type of lens is called, but I can find out next time I go to therapy; it's just a slight magnification. I can barely tell it's magnified but I find it helps my eye strain.

The noise desensitisation is basically a variation of Tinnitus Retraining Therapy.

The idea behind it is that when you are sitting in silence your ears are still listening for noise, so if you spend a lot of time in silence or with earplugs in, your ears become more sensitive to noise over time, because they are used to reaching to hear noise that most people would not notice or hear.

The typical cycle is 1) do too much 2) sit in a dark room until you feel better 3) do to much again 4) repeat and/or become very reliant on earplugs.

Since I started the therapy I have very soft noise in my ears at all times playing at a level that is quiet enough that it doesn't bother me but not quiet enough that I have to "reach for it." Since I'm so oversensitive the level is currently still set lower than the lowest volume on my phone headphones.

I have to wear these Hearing aid-looking devices all day long.

There is a normal white noise setting set to a low volume.

Then a louder white noise setting that I use when in noisy environments.

Some relaxing music that I use when reading, and then more busy noise that I use in chaotic environments like the mall or a noisy restaurant.

It can also be synced with a phone or tablet to stream music.

I also have white noise playing in the background off of an app on my phone at night when I sleep.

As I get used to the level the noise is set at and it starts to sound quieter/I start having to "reach for it", my audiologist raises the volume to the next level and then I get used to that noise level, and then it gets raised again.

It took me a few weeks to get used to having noise in my ears all the time but once I got used to it, it seems like it is helping.

It's not supposed to be a quick fix, it can take up to a year to fully work but you should start seeing improvements right away.

I'll be sure to post more information once I can be more sure it is helping because when researching the treatment online, I found a lot of contradictory information about what the treatment does, so I was very sceptical. But I've been very impressed by my audiologist's knowledge and guidance so far.
ConcussedButHopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote