View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 02:27 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca71 View Post
When I fell a few weeks ago, we thought I re-broke my foot, but it turns out that the first metatarsal fracture never healed. Yep. Come to think of it there never was another imaging done to check.

Which means, in order to really be able to get 100% of whatever my functioning is going to be able to be with CRPS I'm going to need surgery. Except surgery with CRPS is highly likely to cause a flare. But not having surgery is highly likely to leave that area in my foot in more pain and less stable. Catch 22.

So his suggestion is to keep doing the PT and desensitiztion I was doing before until I reach a point where I'm not improving anymore. Then do the surgery. Knowing that I WILL have pain and being prepared to manage it. And then after that, with PT, I should be able to have better functioning than I did before.

He says he needs to go in and scrape off the "bad bone" and then put in a pin.

AND it validates that the pain I continued to feel there that I was told is healed and is just my faulty nerves isn't. It is real pain from a never healed injury.
So sorry to hear about the injury, always a scary thing for us. I saw a neurologist at University of Michigan in August and he told me that if I ever needed surgery to take vitamin c for 5 days before the surgery and 50 days after to prevent spreading of the CRPS. I don't remember the amount he suggested. I will do some searching and let you know. I know it sounds simple but he was sure it would help. I will get back to you with the dose. Hope you feel better soon,😁
kservello is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote