View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 12:49 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Random

You are not alone, although I understand how you feel. I have a good support system, and I still feel alone in this a lot.

I too experience the lightheadedness. Mine is mixed with dizziness and off-balance feeling. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between them. But I do remember when I was working that being in meetings under fluorescent lighting and looking at computer screens a lot throughout the day would make me very lightheaded. I would go home at the end of the day and not be able to do anything but lay on the couch.

I do not know what the exact cause is, but I know that I have vision and vestibular problems as well as neck and jaw problems that sound similar to yours. Vestibular therapy has helped me a lot over the past couple years. I think that it helped my lightheaded and dizziness diminish over time, though is not a complete cure. I have recently started vision therapy and think it will be helpful. I am going to get tinted glasses to help with sensitivity to fluorescent lighting.

I have read that the lightheadedness is caused by your brain getting overloaded and trying to figure out all of the stimuli in a setting like a professional meeting or restaurant. I think it is some kind of combination of eye movements, lighting, neck and jaw disfunction and an added bonus of anxiety that an injured brain creates. I have also found that I am very sensitive to heat now, and that even being in a stuffy room can increase the lightheadedness. It is one more thing the brain has to try and deal with.

Right now I am trying the vision therapy and tinted glasses, as well as some nutrition therapy. If this does not help enough, I will probably start investigating the neck/jaw issues more. Chiropractic is not for me. I saw a NUCCA chiro for a while and it was not helpful. I have been doing PT and massage, which helps some. But there are other things out there that may prove to be more helpful. My integrative doctor recommended a special dental appliance to me to help re-align my jaw, cranial and neck bones. It seems promising to me, but may not be for everybody..
Periodontal Disease and the Arsenic Connection
ALF Orthodontics

There is also this alternative that others have talked about on Neurotalk...
Chronic Neck Pain - Cervical Neck Instability | Caring Medical

I know it is overwhelming and frustrating. I try to just try one or a couple things at a time, and then if they don't help, move on to something else. I have heard that it can be finding the right therapies that finally helps you heal. I try to balance the search with a lot of anxiety calming, relaxation and even some fun

Persisting Problems:
fatigue, dizziness, lightheadedness, vestibular balance and vision problems, vision static, tinnitus, hearing loss, slight sensitivity to noise, sometimes the insomnia comes back, sensitivity to stress, exercise intolerance, emotional problems - But I still have much to be thankful for.
RidingRollerCoaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote