View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 01:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingRollerCoaster View Post
Random

You are not alone, although I understand how you feel. I have a good support system, and I still feel alone in this a lot.

I too experience the lightheadedness. Mine is mixed with dizziness and off-balance feeling. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between them. But I do remember when I was working that being in meetings under fluorescent lighting and looking at computer screens a lot throughout the day would make me very lightheaded. I would go home at the end of the day and not be able to do anything but lay on the couch.

I do not know what the exact cause is, but I know that I have vision and vestibular problems as well as neck and jaw problems that sound similar to yours. Vestibular therapy has helped me a lot over the past couple years. I think that it helped my lightheaded and dizziness diminish over time, though is not a complete cure. I have recently started vision therapy and think it will be helpful. I am going to get tinted glasses to help with sensitivity to fluorescent lighting.

I have read that the lightheadedness is caused by your brain getting overloaded and trying to figure out all of the stimuli in a setting like a professional meeting or restaurant. I think it is some kind of combination of eye movements, lighting, neck and jaw disfunction and an added bonus of anxiety that an injured brain creates. I have also found that I am very sensitive to heat now, and that even being in a stuffy room can increase the lightheadedness. It is one more thing the brain has to try and deal with.

Right now I am trying the vision therapy and tinted glasses, as well as some nutrition therapy. If this does not help enough, I will probably start investigating the neck/jaw issues more. Chiropractic is not for me. I saw a NUCCA chiro for a while and it was not helpful. I have been doing PT and massage, which helps some. But there are other things out there that may prove to be more helpful. My integrative doctor recommended a special dental appliance to me to help re-align my jaw, cranial and neck bones. It seems promising to me, but may not be for everybody..
Periodontal Disease and the Arsenic Connection
ALF Orthodontics

There is also this alternative that others have talked about on Neurotalk...
Chronic Neck Pain - Cervical Neck Instability | Caring Medical

I know it is overwhelming and frustrating. I try to just try one or a couple things at a time, and then if they don't help, move on to something else. I have heard that it can be finding the right therapies that finally helps you heal. I try to balance the search with a lot of anxiety calming, relaxation and even some fun
Does sound like we are dealing with very similar symptoms. Neck/jaw have been a big issue for me as well. A lot of clicking, cracking and discomfort/sensitivity in both since my accident. I saw a TMJ person who told me that I have arthritis in my jaw as a result (I'm 30). Advised I get a dental appliance and take a heavy dose of glucosamine + vit C for 6-12 months. I already take a lot of C and couldn't find a lot of evidence supporting the glucosamine. I felt that he was a little off from a professional/personality approach (got the feeling he was in it solely for $$$$) and quoted me over $2500 for CT's/dental appliance. Although it may be different, I went to my dentist and he sized me up for an appliance for $600, $450 of which covered by benefits at the time. I have been wearing it daily for around 6 months now and have noticed little change unfortunately. It does help to reduce the discomfort in my jaw muscles for the most part, but the TMJ is still a mess. Open to advice on that end as well.

If you would like, feel free to PM me and I will give you my phone number in case I find something that works, vise versa if you find something. Will still be sure to post on here as well for everyone else.

For now, I am trying to get back in with a Neuro, as well as a contact that I have at a brain center in my city to see if they have any further advice. I am also going to try to seek a Nero Chiro as a last effort to see if that helps. My neck is always stiff, sore and my symptoms are worst when the neck is flared up. Massage helps a lot, but very temporary. Toughest part about this all is (as you know) there's nothing evident on tests that would help to show any issues, at least for me so far and makes it hard to justify when people/insurance companies want proof.

Prolotherpay looks very interesting as well. Thanks for sharing. I will be looking further in to that.
May 2013 - Motorcycle accident. Hit head falling off motorcycle at 80-100km/h after hitting a median and knocked unconscious. Taken to hospital via ambulance. Partial loss of vision on the way. Cleared of any internal injuries at via CT and released.

May 2013 - Early morning upon arriving back from hospital, I started uncontrollably shaking (not a seizure), more so shock related. Paramedics to home and back to hospital. Cleared again and sent home.

August 2013 - Feeling normal and 100% better, I started to engage in normal activities, including full time work with no symptoms. I fell unconscious in my home, striking my head and waking up in a pool of blood and vomiting profusely. Noticeable trauma to face and nose upon waking up. Very nauseous and taken back to hospital. Cleared of any 'visible' injuries aside from superficial. Nausea and light sensitivity were very noticeable, to the point where I could not view a computer, or even TV. Approx. 4 weeks after the fall, I started to experience daily and extreme symptoms of dizziness, faintness, lightheadedness, nausea, tinnitus, neck stiffness/pain that has been present ever since. Some days are better, others very bad.

Tests include:
  • CT x 2
  • MRI x 2
  • Neck x-ray
  • Vestibular assessment (noticed a very slight left eye nystagmus.
  • Physio for neck, jaw shoulders for 1.5 years (stopped in 2015)
  • Heart holter monitor (24 hour)
  • ECG
  • Vision test

All tests yield no results and left with PCS diagnosis.
randomguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote