View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The NCAA mandated that any football player who loses his helmet must sit out a play for a number of years. It is interesting to see a player grab their helmet off the ground and sprint to the sidelines to make sure a replacement player gets on the field. Most loss of helmet issues are at the end of the play due to a tackle that includes grabbing the helmet. I've never seen them get their helmet inspected or even check in with a trainer or equipment manager to get a chin strap repaired.

The goal appears to be to encourage players to keep their chin strap buckled and secure.

Some official are real strict about targeting. The NCAA rule requires an automatic ejection that carries over to the next game even when the targeting was not intentional. Other officials have not got with the program and only flag the most egregious targeting. The NCAA released new guidelines in late Sept to help officials get on the same page regarding targeting. I'd like to see a post game review of the game looking specifically for abusive behaviors. There are just not enough eyes on the field looking at the players.

A small college in Michigan or Minnesota has practiced without helmets for years. They only wear helmets during games. This teaches their players to be head conscious, both on offense and defense. They have very low rates of head injuries with this program.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote