View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 03:42 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I often explain to people I have full body "numbness" but it's not totally numb. Certain areas are more numb than others in a rather patchy pattern. A pinprick cannot be felt on my back right shoulder but can be felt on my left. But my feet which cause the most problems with pain if used too much, can feel the pinpricks. But just above my ankle on both legs really cannot feel the pinprick at all. At the same time I have not lost hot/cold sensation, but it has diminished a bit.

My neurologist says this is normal in sfn. I think, but am not sure that my sensitivities to the pinprick test do vary from time to time.
When asked by a non medical person to describe my condition I say I have paresthesia. Which I then must define, and usually just call it numbness and pins and needles.

While I have whole body altered sensation/numbness - it's just impossible to quantify the percent/degree. When it started 2 years ago it was maybe 10-15% - maybe now it's 20-30%. Who knows? There is no yardstick to measure with. It's very difficult and frustrating to figure out. Especially since going from zero to 10% numbness was a frightening game changer, but going from 10% to 20% isn't that scary as one tends to acclimate. It would be nice just to know where it ends.

Sorry, that started to turn into a vent.
Protector is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (11-07-2016), ger715 (11-07-2016), madisongrrl (11-07-2016)