View Single Post
Old 11-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Personally, I would not be reading or listening to neuro books. You need to find a distraction. Norman Doidge takes the extreme cases with miraculous results and tries to make them sound normal. He sells books but he also causes a lot of anxiety as people struggle to get the same results.

The brain heals best when it is stress free. That means no anxiety or angst or pushing to a setback. If you do projects but collapse at a hour or so, you need to learn to recognize the early signs of fatigue and stop at those first signs. You should not be pushing into fatigue. That will keep you on the roller coaster. I had 3 or 4 tasks i could switch between as I sensed fatigue coming on. Each used a different combination of senses and processing.

A short break between these tasks switches can do wonders. I used to build computers from scratch and had no problem keeping track of the many different settings and connections. But, I now have serious struggles with process thinking and memory. If I were to try to do the same tasks, I would need to use a totally different mental process. No relying on memory or expecting quick understanding. That was the old me but not the new me. I need to make notes and follow visual instructions.

In high school, I was a math wiz until a concussion in 10th grade. I could still do the math but it took hard work. I regained some ability but if I tried to push, I would crash hard. I struggled miserably with E&M Physics because it requires process thinking. But, I was an honor student... Why was I struggling so ? If I knew then what I know now, I would have approached these tasks differently and done much better.

Despite what Norman Doidge says, the injured brain cannot push through. The success stories he mentions took months of slow patient moderated effort.

Plus, he never really addresses the chemistry and such that can be disrupted and need assistance. Neuro-fibrillary tangles appear to have a genetic weakness in some.

Various members of NT were told by their doctors to stop reading about brains and just go slower. Most finally started doing much better. Their struggles were similar to yours.

Find something to do with your hands that does not require serious thought. Give your brain a rest while still stimulating good brain blood flow. Crafts can help. Playing solitaire with real cards. The hands cannot move any faster than an injured brain can follow. But, moving hands will keep the brain occupied.

Have a good flight. Take hearing protections and know you can close your eyes to limit stimulation.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote