View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 08:21 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Practical tips for concussion management and successful recovery

This what worked for me...

Firstly, hopefully your employer will give you time off or adjust your role significantly in the early recovery phase as your brain will simply lack the horsepower to do your normal job until all the electrical activity has settled. Expecting too much will end in dissappointment and negative self talk which will fuel the already rampant anxiety and feelings of depression typical after concussion

Get rest, minimal screen activity, limit book reading - soothing music is best, get out in to nature, or sit in the garden and breathe!

When you feel ready to exercise again - ease in gently, dont expect to be at your normal exercise levels, it aint gonna happen - reasearch shows the brain uses at least 25% of our entire energy resources when operating efficiently and at this point in time, it requires even more energy to carry out its repair duties - do not disturb, the workmen are busy, let them do their jobs!! As above, expecting too much will end in dissappointment and negative self talk which will fuel the already rampant anxiety and feelings of depression typical after concussion

Supplements:

Branched Chain Amino Acids - energy, alertness & cellular repair
L Glutamine - energy, alertness & cellular repair and immune booster
CoEnyzme Q10 - for energy; mitochondrial effects boosting supplement
Vitamin D
Vitamin B6 and B12, Vitamin E for assisting your brain's natural repair mechanisms
Acetylcholine-based supplement containing Lecithin to improve memory and brain electro-connectivity firing (careful with dosing)

Cranio Sacral Therapy

I stumbled across this after reading a story of this helping a mum's young daugher recover from concussion.

Definitely flls into the woo-woo category, however, I'm fairly sure this further helped because in the early stages of recovery, I was very prone/anxious about secondary impacts and experience a number of short-lived, anxiety provoking relapses after accidentally banging my head (car doors, low ceilings etc) where I believed I had lost my gains.

The theory is that CST relaxes the tense muscle tissue in the neck area that is common after whiplash, which helps optimum energy flow and relaxation of the muscles. Every time the body experiences a physical trauma it goes into shock and stiffens up as part of our ancient instinctive hard wired, protection mechanism.

It is also claimed it helps re-align the skull plates, not sure so on this one tbh but whenever I had a session, I definitely felt a shift in the neck and skull region. I used to have the sessions fairly often after secondary bumps, however, I have not had a session for months and no longer feel I need it.

Mind over matter?, new-agey unproven therapy? or currently unexplained human bio-mechanical energy science??

Whatever, it worked for me! All I would urge is try it at least once

I wish you good luck and may the untold power of the universe be with you during your inevitably successful recovery journey.
Ady_P is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
goodgrief20 (12-09-2016)