View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 05:31 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Heart

Hi Sophie and Welcome,

I am so sorry for what you're going through. We all know how frightening this can be. But you are not alone and there are definitely reasons for hope. The majority of people with CRPS (80% according to Cleveland Clinic's Dr. Michael Stanton Hicks) improve over time.

Treatment for either CRPS 1 or 2 will be very similar; pain control, exercise, PT, anti-oxidents, stress reduction etc. Though a nerve injury can have its own set of issues and be a complicating factor there is still potential for healing. I had a severe, complicated nerve injury (worst kind possible) and had to have a repair so we know that I have CRPS 2. That said my symptoms are improved and under control with ongoing treatment. Recovery was slow and took a lot of aqua therapy and gradual weightbearing but I am able to walk and do what I need each day.

My best advice is to be cautious about any nerve destroying interventions in your foot. Phenol injections for Morton's neuroma can make things worse. Surgery, if ever pursued would be best done by someone with peripheral nerve training so they know how to handle the nerve properly to prevent a true neuroma from forming. Could you have damage to the nerve from your injections? It is possible but risks for this are lower if your injections were ultrasound guided. That interdigital nerve is small as your podiatrist said but even CRPS 1 appears to have damage to the small fibers in the skin of some CRPS patients according to Dr. Louise Oaklander. I would try not to worry too much about that at this point. If it makes you feel better you could ask for an ultrasound of that nerve which would show swelling or constriction. If your podiatrist hasn't done much of that a Physical Medicine doctor who treats Morton's could take a look. The pain in your other foot could be mirror pain, something I had originally that was not true CRPS but pain jumping across the spinal cord from pain being very intense. Mine resolved as I got better.

Nerves can be really fussy. If you are having even minor swelling in your feet now that could be contributing to aggravation of the nerve which can accumulate fluid and swelling itself. Any recommendation they have for footwear may be helpful and will be conservative treatment for the neuroma. Offloading pressure and also providing adequate support to give a little space between the toes are good strategies. Make sure you have an adequately large toe box. Try toe spreaders for short periods when off your feet. Get in a pool and swim. It will help your circulation and swelling while starting imperative exercise. You might also try a round of oral steroids which are recommended as an early treatment and can break the inflammatory cycle that gets CRPS going.

Hang in there and try not to stress too hard. I know it's easier said than done. But you beat this beast once before and we're all hoping you're going to beat again!

Sending hugs and healing love,

Shine Your Bright Light
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Shay08 (11-13-2016), Sophie0513 (11-12-2016)