View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 03:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My 2 cents on Sensus/Quell

The Quell and the Sensus are actually sold by the same company. The basic technology is basically identical and the electrodes are the same. The Sensus came out 1st and was/is available by prescription only. The Quell came out later and you can buy it without a prescription. It's been a while since I looked at the two units, but if I remember correctly, the only difference between them is that Quell has the additional ability to be controlled with your smart phone (I think that's right-someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I think the only reason to go with the Sensus over the Quell is it if you can get your insurance to cover it, which is what I also did for my daughter. She (my daughter) also reports that it is a nice distraction from the pain. Definitely no magic bullet, but another nice resource to help cope with flareups. It is certainly an improvement over a typical tens unit, in that you can wear it all day (and even at night) and there are no wires to deal with. The downside, is that you can only use it to treat your leg. I wish they had one for the arm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchlake View Post
Very interesting and yes, very similar to the "Sensus" TENS unit that I use. I'm using my Sensus unit right now as I compose this message! Both Sensus and Quell are wearable, which increases utility greatly in my opinion. I like the ability that the Quell unit has to be controlled by your smartphone too, something my Sensus unit does not offer.

As for price, my Sensus unit is being offered on the internet for $330, although I got mine at no cost as it was prescribed to me by my Podiatrist and my insurance paid the entire cost. All I pay for are replacement electrodes which are around $3.00 each, also covered (partially) by my insurance. Electrodes last approximately 2 weeks. So it's really cheap therapy and I use it daily.

On the Quell website is an interesting article called "Science Behind Quell™ Wearable Pain Relief Technology for Treatment of Chronic Pain" It is pretty detailed, but it gives you an idea of how these devices work. Here's a link to the article. There is some pretty complex science behind these devices.

404 Not Found
BraveGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
birchlake (11-15-2016), Shay08 (11-15-2016)