View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 11:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Concussed buthopeful, if you want inspiration I can give it to you in spades!
My son was not expected to live, TBI, but survive he did and were told he would never ride a bike again!

Running was just too difficult, still is really as it knocks his body about too much but in saying that before his second accident he did run a half marathon.

He got back on his beloved cycle, at first riding on a stationary trainer then progressing to, back on the road. We were vilified by some for allowing this but really his mind was set and ride he did. It was his goal and slowly but surely he achieved.

A fall in an organised race (prior to car accident he was an accomplished athlete) taught him risk management so these days he's a social rider as opposed to pack rides - we're talking twenty years now. Perseverance, pig headedness and practice saw him achieve his goals with support from some friends and family.

I have just been watching a series on tv The Performance Attitude | enables business success about Brain Injury and watching the progress of a forty year old ultra determined lady, Eltje, working incredibly hard so as to be able to ride her bike again - it has been very moving. It also brought back many memories, my son not able to achieve what she had until much further down the track.

Slowly but surely, one step forward, sometimes two steps backwards, but keep on keeping on. Now I feel guilty for haven't done any exercise myself for awhile! Better go remedy that . . .

I guess what I'm saying is never give up, there is always HOPE Helping Other Possibilites Emerge. Set your goals and go forth and conquer.

I wrote a book about my journey as a mother, supporting a son with TBI. I felt if a life was worth saving it had to be made worth living. Feedback was overwhelming, we had given others hope and I give it to you again and again.

Sunny side up Concussed but Hopeful, you can be better than you are now, go to it, go well and take small steps as opposed to boom and bust.
chasann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote