View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 05:09 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Small Fiber Neuropathy - my story

Hi everyone,
To begin with, I must say I am pleased to have found this place and I am seeking advice from those of you who have been where I am

I am Nicolas, live in France and am 26.

When I was 24, I had a trip to Finland where I was bitten by a tick (unnoticed at the time). When back, I had a planned surgery (inguinal hernia). It all went fine.
A couple of days after the surgery I noticed a huge red rash on my leg. Went to the doctor who gave me 3 weeks of Amoxyciline for suspicion of Lyme disease (first stage). I was very stressed because of the Lyme disease and its potential effects.
2 weeks after beginning the treatment, I started feeling vibrations in my left hand. 2 hours after, my right hand. At night, my feet and neck.
Went to the doctor who suspected Guillain Barré. I spent one week at the hospital and they found nothing. Then, through the next months, the symptoms slowly turned into allodynia (mostly legs and arms) and mild pain.

During two years I had "flares" : the pain was quite bad during a few days and then gradually decreased, at the point I was symptom free during months. I did not worry much as I lived normally, doing sports, travelling. I had regular appointments with a neuro in my town; not such a good one I guess cause he never mentionned SFN. I veryyyy often had muscular fasciculations, mostly in my legs (sometimes continuously during two hours...).

A month ago the symptoms came back. I fell like this time it was different, and two weeks ago I experienced sharp burning pain in my neck (which is kind of a new symptom for me). I was really depressed and overwhelmed. The pain is worse with contact with sheets or clothes. The fasciculations are nearly gone which, in a weird way, is worrying to me (as if I felt it helped my nerves and relieved the pain).

Today it is a bit better but my body is so unconfortable. I am only 26 and I am afraid.

My neurologist did not seem do know about SFN. I am seeing a new one in Paris in a month, who seems to be the best in France in this area.

To me, it is pretty obvious that either it is due to Lyme, or to the antibodies it produced.
What is upsetting is to know that I had months symptoms free (which is hard to understand), which made me hope it would fade and disappear for good. And here I am, worse than ever. My pain is all over my body.

Thanks for reading me, I will be glad to have feedback from you guys

Have a good day

Nicolas
NicoAvA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote