View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 12:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanpar321 View Post
Excellent research John,

The Frontline article may indicate that alpha synuclein isn't a factor in PD. Alternatively, maybe it takes decades of buildup of alpha synuclein to cause PD which one would not get from occasional blood transfusions. Maybe AS is still the culprit but one would have to be subjected to excess AS over several decades before the damage takes its toll! Interesting research! I am hopeful that the 5 AS studies underway will reveal more in the coming year!
You have to remember, as TexasTom wrote, that it is misfolded a-syn that is the culprit, not properly folded a-syn which is an essential protein that enables neurotransmitters in the body. Another issue is, which TexasTom didn't get exactly right, is that misfolded a-syn is not an actual prion (e.g. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease), but rather prion-like. There is a difference as a prion is self-derived, self-sustaining, and infectious. Alpha synuclein, being prion-like, is believed like other neurological misfolded proteins (e.g. amyloid, tau, etc.) to be what is now referred to as a transcellular prionoid. Prionoids are proteins that demonstrate prion-like propagation between cells within a disease context (e;g. Alzheimer's or PD) but have limited evidence for organism infection or transmission.

PubMed Central Image Viewer.

With regard to blood filtering, it would the misfolded prionoid a-syn that you would want to remove, not necessarily all a-syn. This is what the vaccines we have been following target. I'm not aware of any research showing that people on dialysis have a lower instance of Parkinson's. Alternatively, I have seen research that shows that people with end-stage-renal-disease (ESRD) have a significantly higher chance of developing PD. These people would all be on dialysis.

Last edited by Tupelo3; 11-26-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
badboy99 (11-26-2016), dilmar (12-03-2016)