View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 01:53 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Smile

The Skeezyks is 68. I think a lot about death too. I spend a lot of time hoping it arrives as soon as possible. In fact, I've tried taking the do-it-yerself approach a couple of times.

Professionals in the field of mental health tell us that depression is caused by imbalances in neurochemicals in the brain. And also, I think, over time pathways tend to get worn into our brains So, whether we want them to or not, our thoughts tend to keep running down those same old pathways even if the various day-to-day aspects of our lives are going well. There's nothing about my present life circumstances that should cause me to think the way I do. But I still do.

I'm a follower of writings of the Buddhist nun Pema Chödrön. And one of the most important things I've learned from Ani Pema is that whatever I am thinking is workable. Whatever it is, I can simply allow it to be there... breathe into it, smile to it... & accept it with lovingkindness & compassion.

There's a quote I dearly love which is attributed to the 11th century Buddhist Machig Labdrön... "In other traditions, demons are expelled externally. But in my tradition demons are accepted with compassion." I take this as my mantra.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (11-28-2016), Dmom3005 (11-28-2016), OhKay (11-29-2016)