View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 10:21 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie0513 View Post
Thank you everyone for the suggestions!! It gets pretty cold here in NJ during the winter and I need to get prepared now if my feet are already cold in November!
I have used an electric blanket and have not had any problems with it. I also use the hand and toe warmers. They are not electric and last for 8-10 hours. I buy them in bulk because they can get expensive. You would need to wear 2 pairs of socks so they don't touch your skin. These packets also come in a variety of sizes.

I don't own a whirlpool bath because I find them too painful, but I do have what they call an air or bubble bath which has air holes along the sides. A compressor blows air through these holes creating many bubbles. It is gentle and helps relieve pain and the icy limb problem. The effect lasts a few hours for me. I find it interesting that the vibration from a car will ramp up my pain, but those crazy bubbles and vibrating compressor do the opposite.

When I was first diagnosed, my therapist introduced me to TENS. After I found the settings that worked best for me, I discovered that after an hour of using it, not only did it help with the pain, but my hand would warm up, the swelling would go down, and the ugly discoloration would be reduced. If you are interested, they are available with a prescription from a doctor usually in conjunction with physical therapy OR you can buy one online. My first unit was prescribed and I had the benefit of a therapist who knew how to use it and my health insurance covered it. I purchased a second one online and it is holding up well. If you do want to try a TENS unit, make sure the one you get is adjustable. Most of the settings actually cause me more pain. To me burst mode feels like thousands of bees stinging me in one spot. I have found the Normal mode with a Rate of 2 Hz and a Width of 130 microseconds is the most comfortable and effective for me.

I also find that once I do manage to warm my limb(s), fleecy blankets and clothing help keep the warmth in longer. I hope that you will benefit from some of these posts. Wishing you warm days and nights.

Shay
Shay08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sophie0513 (11-29-2016)