View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 02:40 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi MJ,

The short answer is you should refrain from playing a horn instrument until the sinus membrane closes over. If you play, the circulation and force of air used to play the instrument will prevent the membrane from closing. An open maxillary sinus membrane can lead to all sorts of sinus problems that can be difficult to remedy.

1) Even though the gum tissue is healing over your surgical wound, the wound is still open for bacteria to enter into it. It only needs to be open a microscopic fraction for bacteria to get in. The tissue is not likely to close tightly if the membrane does not heal.

2) Your sinuses are only inches from your brain. So bacteria that gets trapped beyond the membrane can eventually migrate. It is very important that the membrane close.

A general dentist is not well trained in sinus perforations. It is best to consult with an oral surgeon and the sooner you do this, the better the outcome. You would need your pre op xrays and he would take xrays to view the perforation. He may do some additional tests to help determine the degree of the perforation.

It is best to refrain from using the waterpik. Did your dentist instruct you to use the waterpik or was that something you chose to do on your own? I ask because most dentists would not suggest that.

I would urge you to consult with the oral surgeon as soon as possible and refrain from playing the instrument.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote