Thread: Oats
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 11:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Of course you know that my son also doesn't tolerate oats. He got such a bad reaction when we challenged them that I can't bring myself to have them in the house. So they're in the same catergory as gluten here.

There is that study out there that says, though they don't cause damage, they do cause inflammation. Well, who wants inflammation? All the studies that say they're okay do not deny inflammation, they simple address visible damage. So I don't trust the ones that say oats are okay. (I am glad that Al posted the opposite side as everyone really needs to decide for themselves what kinds of chances they are willing to take.)

I'm going to try to find the one that talks about inflammation so everyone can read it for themselves.

Jamie: Maybe you and I should start a thread of "Baking Without Flour"?

I can't find the one I was thinking of but here are a couple of others:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS: We conclude that some celiac disease patients have avenin-reactive mucosal T-cells that can cause mucosal inflammation. Oat intolerance may be a reason for villous atrophy and inflammation in patients with celiac disease who are eating oats but otherwise are adhering to a strict gluten-free diet. Clinical follow-up of celiac disease patients eating oats is advisable.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum
Quote:
CONCLUSION: The oats-containing gluten-free diet caused more intestinal symptoms than the traditional diet. Mucosal integrity was not disturbed, but more inflammation was evident in the oats group. Oats provide an alternative in the gluten-free diet, but coeliac patients should be aware of the possible increase in intestinal symptoms.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote