View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 11:19 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Thanks for the reply, Mark in Idaho. I apologize for the format -- I tend to ramble and my posts got consolidated by the forum, so I realize that as a whole it is pretty unintelligible. I'll post a consolidated version of what I wrote, with better spacing, below.

I suffered a mild brain injury in July of 2016 which went undiagnosed for several months. On the day of the injury I merely felt "dazed," but over the next couple of weeks I developed issues with concentration, memory, severe insomnia, lack of emotional control (becoming extremely angry and agitated for at the smallest provocation), extreme sensitivity to sound, terrible dizziness, and tremors in my hands. These symptoms led doctors to prescribe 2 months worth of benzodiazepines (Valium and Xanax) to treat suspected "anxiety."

One month into taking above mentioned drugs cognitive symptoms severely worsened, including:
-- generalized confusion/brain fog
--- difficulty with organizing thoughts and reading comprehension
---- visual disturbances
-- extreme sensitivity to heat
--- feelings of derealization/depersonalization
-- difficulty deciphering conversation if background noise is present
-- consistent memory blanks every few minutes.

Because of these continuing symptoms, my doctor finally granted me an MRI without contrast, but, perhaps because it was done over two months after the initial injury, it was negative. I would love to get a DTI or fMRI but have not yet been able to because the first MRI came up clear.

In terms of diagnosis, I was first diagnosed by a neuro-opthalmologist who, after reviewing my surgical records, connected my PCS symptoms and difficulty with integrating visual stimuli to surgery in July during which I was given too high a concentration of nitrous oxide (an anoxic factor) and my blood pressure went very low, preventing adequate circulation of already oxygen-poor blood to the brain. However, as I seemed "okay" at the time, the oral surgeon didn't think the hypoxia had had much effect.

Where I am now: I have seen TBI therapist who diagnosed me with PCS. I have also stopped taking the benzos as there is clear research that they cause further neural degeneration in brain injury patients and prevents recovery. Prior to the brain injury diagnosis, however, I had no idea that I was causing further harm. I'm just curious as to whether anyone else was either misdiagnosed and took benzos/drank excessively (as the two are similar in effect) or was prescribed benzos by an ill-informed doctor.

My symptoms evolved from mild PCS to debilitating PCS after the benzos, so I wonder if the 2 months usage had the effect of repeated additional brain injuries. Currently 5 months out from incident with no improvement, not sure if that is due to the benzos or just the severity of the injury. Currently trying desperately to find neurologists/neuropsychiatrists/rehabilitation therapists knowledgeable about brain injury. I am in the SF Bay Area of CA if anyone has any recommendations.

Also, I have not wondering if anyone has recommendations on how to "rest" the brain...finding it difficult to sit/lie down without becoming agitated/anxious.

Apologies again for long post. Wishing you all strength and courage!
goodgrief20 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote