View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 06:46 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Confused and looking for guidance

Hello. I am reaching out for any suggestions thoughts etc.
At the end of August, I developed pain in my left foot primarily between the 3rd and 4th metatarsal. At the end of September, a podiatrist diagnosed mortons neuroma/overuse from walking after identifying an aggravated nerve by both touching it and by ultrasound and administered two cortisone injections(9/30&10/7) . After the 1st cortisone shot, I began to experience tingling, numbing and burning in the left foot which progressed to the right foot. By the end of October, both of my feet were red, burning and I could no longer wear shoes. My podiatrist told me this was pain out of proportion and dx'd complex regional pain syndrome and referred to a pain management doctor who also believed I had CRPS. During this time, I also started to notice tingling in my hands and arms. I told my PM doctor and he said CRPS doesn't spread in that pattern. In mid November, my hands were slightly red and sensitive. also over a few days I had tingling sensations in my upper torso and I now have some intermittent slight burning. My PM doctor said that once the gabapentin started working and my foot symptoms calmed down the rest of my symptoms should subside. At this point, I was concerned about the CRPS spreading so I met with a neurologist who had a lot of experience working with CRPS. He believes that I have small fiber neuropathy. he is ordering blood work including an Athena panel plus he is going to do a skin biopsy. He is also recommending a 10 day outpatient ketamine infusion with follow up boosters. He said regardless if my diagnosis is SFN or CRPS, the treatment would be the same. The treatment is going to cost $450.00 per day and it is not covered by insurance. he thinks it is being caused by an autoimmune condition, He asked about symptoms prior to the mortons neuroma, however I didn't have any symptoms at all. So I am now really confused by I font know if it is CRPS or SFN. Does anybody have experience with this or with ketamine infusions? Should I get a third opinion? Just not sure what to do? Thanks for reading!
Sophie0513 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote