View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I will say if I were still working and pulling in money, I'd spring for it. I did in the past buy a light visor for about the same cost for my winter seasonal affective disorder. (which works and still works for me, and has not broken down --it is now 1/2 the price I paid back then. It is called the Bright Light visor.) So that investment was useful for me. I will say the light visor never advertised on TV. I am more skeptical of TV ads for things like this.

But now I am on social security, retired and measuring my budget much tighter.

A simpler and less expensive thing that works for me is this:
I get extreme flares when storms come with low barometric pressures. My feet will hurt and esp my toes terribly. This is not every day, but just severe flares. I rub into my lower leg, just below the knee. (where the shins start) It seems that the pain is mostly at night after 10pm, the Aspercreme Lidocaine lotion. I use about a nickel's diameter dollop on each leg. There are nerves close to the surface in this location, and within 15 minutes or less the pain to my feet and toes reduces to about 10% of what it was and I can fall asleep. This works better than Tylenol or Aleve and lasts into the next day.

This link shows the nerves in the area that I apply the Lidocaine on the front part of the lower leg. This is very cost effective and useful for me.

Muscles, Arteries, and Nerves of Leg: Deep Dissection (anterior view)
Muscles of Leg (Deep Dissection): Anterior View

However, I will say that I had 3 months of intensive ultrasound and IFC on my left leg a few years ago, for a damaged tendon in my hip, this did nothing for my PN.
It was a very painful injury and responded well to these two
modalities, but did not generalize to other pain locations.
They told me that TENs type frequencies block pain but do not
stimulate healing chemistry for injuries like the IFC does.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Cliffman (12-11-2016), Pixel22 (12-10-2016), Sophie0513 (12-10-2016)